Poem

Here's a moving and loving poem by one of our participants Debbie. We love this because it reflects her as a caring person and her sense of connection and understanding about the refugee experience through her time at SOLA. It's a wonderful piece that's very relatable. 

What do I see when I look at the refugee,
I see a person who's lost their family, their home and their identity. 

What do I see when I look at the refugee,
I see a person in a strange land just stretching out a hand for friendship from you and me. 

What do I see when I look at a refugee,
I see someone from the culture I do not understand, a person who can teach me about things from a far off land.

What do I see when I look at a refugee,
The stories they have to tell the journeys, they have made, the fears they have had to face make me think I do not need to be afraid.

What do I see when I look at a refugee,
I see a human being just like you and me, who wants to live and be free in peace and harmony.


By Kelsang Ogden

Comments